Los Angeles public school district cuts budget for one of its schools because too many of the students were white
NoHo school budget cuts due to high white student percentage sparks outrage
March 26, 2017
North Hollywood, Los Ageles (KABC) — Outrage has grown at Walter Reed Middle School in North Hollywood, as the school faces layoffs and increased class sizes due to a law limiting funds for schools with a higher white student body.
The Los Angeles Unified School District provides more funding for schools where the white population is below 30 percent.
In a letter to parents, the district noted the highly regarded middle school had been above the percentage for the past couple years.
The racial formula was a condition imposed by court decisions dealing with desegregation in the 1970s.
Parents, however, remain frustrated with what the cuts might mean for their children.
“When your class sizes are getting larger and you’re taking resources away from students, I mean ss parents, you do want your kid to go out to college,” one parent, Rosemary Estrada, said.
In an attempt to lessen the budget cuts, the district changed the school’s spending formula to one based on the number of students.
“Thankfully we’re going to keep our librarian. We’re going to keep our nurse, but we may lose a few teachers, but not as many as we once thought,” said Sheila Edmiston, one student’s parent.
Several jobs will still be lost and class sizes could grow. For many parents, the race-based reason of “too many white students” has made the cuts more difficult to swallow.
In this seven minute video, a physiology (a branch of biology) major at UC Berkeley says that one of her classes had 700 students, there were not enough chairs, she had to stand behind the professor, and so she could not see what the professor was showing on the overhead projector.
Was Buffalo mom jailed over homeschooling decision?
February 6, 2017
BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) – Single mother Kiarre Harris started researching homeschooling last November. She says her two elementary school aged children weren’t excelling at their failing Buffalo Public Schools.
“I felt that the district was failing my children and that’s when I made the decision to homeschool,” she said.
Harris says she filed documents at Buffalo City Hall, following all the steps, informing the district of her intent to homeschool her children. According to documents she provided to 7 Eyewitness News, they’re dated December 7th and the district says it received her paperwork.
“I spoke directly to the homeschool coordinator and she told me from this point on my children were officially un-enrolled from school.”
Things took a turn when she says a week later, Child Protective Services called, wondering why her kids weren’t in school.
“I told them that my kids were homeschooled now and that I could furnish the documents if they need to see them.”
Thinking everything was fine, Harris says she went on with her homeschooling, but then, less than a month later she says she was confronted by CPS workers and police. According to Harris, they told her they had a court order to take her children and when she told them no, she was arrested for obstruction.
She says she hasn’t seen her kids in three weeks, and they’ve been in a foster institution.
The Buffalo Public School District says it cannot comment on this case due to Federal Laws but says in order for a parent to file for homeschooling, they must have full custody of the children.
Harris says she’s a single parent and has always had full custody until her kids were taken away.
This case is far from finished. The Buffalo Common Council will be addressing it tomorrow.
School Employee Fired for Tweet Aimed at Student’s Spelling
January 14, 2017
Frederick, Md. – A school system employee in Maryland who had a lighthearted quarrel with a student on Twitter over the student’s spelling has been fired.
Katie Nash tells The Frederick News-Post that she was fired on Friday afternoon from her $44,000-a-year job. A Frederick County Public Schools spokesman confirmed that Nash had been let go, without providing details.
Nash ran the school district’s Twitter account. On Jan. 5, a student tweeted to the account, asking that schools be closed “tammarow.”
Nash responded from the district’s account, “But then how would you learn how to spell ‘tomorrow?'”
She says she was told not to tweet anymore after the interaction.
Nash says she understands why she was let go and that she didn’t “want to be a distraction to the school system.”
Pa. high school math question asked which member of family sexually assaulted girl
January 13, 2017
The students at Pennridge High School in Perkasie were given a homework assignment that involved trying to figure out which family member assaulted a young girl.
In a statement, Superintendent Jacqueline A. Rattigan apologized and said the question was “downloaded from a website that allows teachers around the world to share educational resources.”
They were given the question: “y = x+2, 3x+6y = 12, Angelou was sexually abused by her mother’s ___ at age 8, which shaped her career choices and motivation for writing.” The multiple choice answers were boyfriend, brother or father.
“It is not part of our approve curriculum,” Rattigan said. The district has taken “steps to avoid such occurrences in the future.”
UC Berkeley says the Obama administration might force it to remove 13,800 hours of free educational videos from YouTube
This is the YouTube channel for University of California, Berkeley: https://www.youtube.com/user/UCBerkeley/videos
It has 13,800 hours of free educational content.
Recently, the Department of Justice sent this letter to the school, which criticized the videos for not being closed captioned, and for not having audio descriptions of content that was visible on chalkboards.
The school responded by issuing a statement which said it might have to remove the videos because of this. Specifically, the school’s statement said:
“… we might not be able to continue to provide free public content under the conditions laid out by the Department of Justice to the extent we have in the past.”
“In many cases the requirements proposed by the department would require the university to implement extremely expensive measures to continue to make these resources available to the public for free…”
The same letter from the Justicte Department also ordered the school to pay “compensatory damages” to deaf people because these free educational videos were not closed captioned.
However, the Justice Department did not explain how it was possible for the school to pay “compensatory damages” for something that the school had given away for free.
Elementary school cancels mock election after kids chant ‘Trump’
November 3, 2016
A New York elementary school has canceled its traditional mock presidential election after kids chanted “Trump” and repeated “negative rhetoric about minorities,” according to the school principal.
Children at Jericho Elementary School in Centereach will be voting for their favorite school lunch instead of their favorite presidential candidate after their mock campaign season got too heated.
“Some people were getting angry because some people like Trump and some people like Clinton,” fifth-grader Miranda Waters told a local ABC News affiliate. “Some people think Clinton’s not good. Some think Trump’s not good. So there’s a lot of arguments going on, and I don’t like that.”
School officials decided to cancel the mock election to prevent minority students “from feeling uncomfortable,” according to Glen Rogers, the school’s principal.
“Teachers have said they’ve heard some kids in the cafeteria chanting ‘Trump! Trump! Trump!’ or saying they don’t want Muslims here,” Mr. Rogers told ABC News.
“I mean, kids often repeat what they hear on the TV or the news, but it doesn’t mean it’s OK,” he said. “We have a diverse community here. We want all our students to feel valued.”