What a ridiculous lawsuit. If he hadn’t climbed over the fence, he would still be alive. This is 100% his own fault.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-college-grad-14th-person-080023354.html
California college grad the 14th person to fall off ‘serial killer’ cliffs; family says death ‘preventable’
By Audrey Conklin
May 1, 2024

Over the last 30 years, 14 people, including three University of California, Santa Barbara, students, have fallen to their deaths from the same stretch of cliffs in Isla Vista, a neighborhood along the coast in Santa Barbara.
Jacob Parker, a 23-year-old UCSB alumnus who graduated last spring, became the 14th victim to fall off the cliffs’ edge while he was attending an afternoon party April 20 at one of the many houses that back up onto the bluffs.
… the 6-foot-1 Jake climbed over a 42-inch tall metal wire fence onto a 33-inch wide concrete ledge, bordered by an 18-inch tall metal rail along the cliff’s edge in an effort to make it to the gazebo. While trying to climb back over into the party, Jake lost his footing and fell about 50 feet to his death.
Deborah Parker and Jake’s father, George Parker, have described their son’s death as preventable — particularly after local lawmakers passed a safety plan in November requiring all new fences to be 6 feet tall following the death of 19-year-old UCSB student Benjamin “Benny” Schurmer on Labor Day last year.
Jake’s parents are pursuing criminal charges — including involuntary manslaughter — as well as a civil case related to their son’s death in the hope there will not be a 15th victim.
Family who sued cruise line for negligence after their baby fell out a window and died, wants judge to strike from the record a video which shows the baby’s grandfather dangling her outside the window for 34 seconds right before she died
The video below is from CBS News.
On a cruise ship, a baby fell from a window to her death. The family sued the cruise line for negligence. The grandfather who was with the baby at the time of her death said he did not know the window was open.
However, after the lawsuit was filed, the cruise line provided CBS News with video footage which shows the grandfather dangling the baby outside the window for 34 seconds, right before she fell to her death.
The family responded to this video by asking that the video be stricken from the record.
It sucks that the baby died. But it also sucks that the grandfather lied. And it sucks that the family is asking for the video to be stricken from the record.
Maria Ana Carrola Flores, the UC San Diego student who got hit by a car at 1:30 a.m. during an anti-Trump protest, actually sued her college because it “failed to warn students of the danger of walking onto the freeway”
You may remember this video, which I have posted before. It shows an anti-Trump protest near UC San Diego that took place at 1:30 a.m. a few days after Trump was elected President. One of the protestors, a UC San Diego student named Maria Ana Carrola Flores, gets hit by a car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GtM-debHD8
Maria Ana Carrola Flores chose to stand in the middle of a busy highway at 1:30 a.m.
And after she got hit by a car, she actually sued the driver who hit her.
She also sued the city and county of San Diego, UC San Diego, and the UC Board of Regents.
The Washington Free Beacon explained the reason for her lawsuit with the following: (the bolding is mine)
Flores’s attorney, Jerold Sullivan, argued that while his client accepted her responsibility for the accident, others shared blame as well. Sullivan claimed that according to Flores, campus officials had encouraged the protest, did not control it, and failed to warn students of the danger of walking onto the freeway.
So she sued her college because it didn’t teach her that it was dangerous to stand in the middle of a busy highway at 1:30 a.m.
That’s insane.
Fortunately, a judge dismissed her lawsuit.
And besides, since she did insist on filing a lawsuit because someone didn’t teach her that standing in the middle of a busy highway at 1:30 a.m. was dangerous, then she should have filed the lawsuit against her parents, not her college.
Federal jury rules that you’re not allowed to remove graffiti from your own building
In New York City, the owner of a building gave graffiti artists permission to put graffiti on his building, with the understanding that the owner would eventually tear the building down.
However, after the owner did tear the building down, the artists filed a lawsuit, and a jury actually agreed with the artists.
A judge will be ruling on this in the future. But as it stands right now, the concept of private property has just been eroded by a huge amount.
And this is a federal ruling, so it applies to the entire country.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/nyregion/5pointz-graffiti-jury.html
Brooklyn Jury Finds 5Pointz Developer Illegally Destroyed Graffiti
November 7, 2017
Ending a trial that explored the question of whether graffiti, despite its transient nature, should be recognized as art, a jury found on Tuesday that a New York City real estate developer broke the law when he tore down the so-called 5Pointz complex in Queens three years ago. Along with the buildings nearly 50 swirling, colorful murals that had been spray-painted on its walls were lost.
The finding by the jury, in Federal District Court in Brooklyn, will serve as a recommendation to the judge who presided over the case and who will render a final verdict.
For the better part of 20 years, 5Pointz, a complex of buildings in Long Island City, was a New York rarity: an aesthetic collaboration between the developer, Jerry Wolkoff, and a scrappy crew of graffiti artists that not only became an offbeat tourist destination, but also helped transform the neighborhood into a thriving residential enclave. Though it eventually became what a lawyer for the artists called the “world’s largest open-air aerosol museum,” its existence was always predicated on Mr. Wolkoff tearing it down and turning the buildings into luxury apartments, which he ultimately did in 2014.
When the artists learned about the demolition, they filed suit against Mr. Wolkoff in Federal District Court in Brooklyn, accusing him of violating the Visual Artists Rights Act, which has been used to protect public art of “recognized stature” created on someone else’s property. During the trial, the artists’ lawyer, Eric Baum, claimed that Mr. Wolkoff had failed to give his clients the proper 90-day notice before he destroyed their work by sending in a team of workers one night to cover it in a coat of white paint.
Mr. Wolkoff’s lawyer, David Ebert, had argued at the trial that V.A.R.A. was irrelevant in the case because it was intended to protect art, not his client’s building. Mr. Ebert also maintained that the 21 artists who had joined the suit had known for years that 5Pointz would eventually come down and contended that they had destroyed more graffiti themselves by constantly changing their paintings than Mr. Wolkoff had in demolishing the structures. In the last decade or so, Mr. Ebert said, about 11,000 murals had come and gone on the walls of the complex.
Even though the jury rendered its decision after hearing three weeks of testimony, near the end of the trial both Mr. Baum and Mr. Ebert agreed that Judge Frederic Block, who presided over the case, should take its verdict only as a recommendation. Judge Block has asked both sides to submit court papers in the coming weeks about the validity of the verdict, at which point he will issue a final decision and, if warranted, force Mr. Wolkoff to pay the artists damages.
Despite this legal quirk, Mr. Baum claimed victory on Tuesday night. “The jury sided strongly with the rights of the artists,” he said. “This is a clear message from the people that the whitewashing of the buildings by its owner was a clear and willful act.”
Mr. Ebert declined to comment on the case.
Whole Foods sues customer who falsely accused it of putting anti-gay slur on cake
In the first video shown below, A Whole Foods customer shows what he claims is an “unopened” box for the cake that he bought at Whole Foods, and shows that there is an anti-gay slur on the cake. He points out that the price sticker on the side and bottom of the box proves that the box has not been opened.
The customer then sued Whole Foods over the slur.
In the second video, Whole Foods responds by showing its security footage, which shows that when the customer bought the cake, the price sticker was actually on top of the box, not on the side, thus proving that the customer had indeed opened the box.
Whole Foods is now countersuing the customer for knowingly filing a false lawsuit.
I hope Whole Foods wins its lawsuit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p972qntg1qM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyoluahNZZs
Casino sues winning gamblers and card manufacturer because casino employees did not shuffle the cards
This casino is suing the card manufacturer, and the players who won lots of money, because the casino’s employees didn’t shuffle the cards, which allowed the players to win 41 times in a row.
This has got to be about the most ridiculous lawsuit that I have ever heard about. Yes, I realize there are quite a few contenders in that contest, but this one is even dumber than the other dumb ones… I think.
(more…)
Trial lawyers successfully sue on behalf of people who poured gasoline onto fires.
This is completely ridiculous, but it appears to be how our current legal system works.
(more…)


