Officials say cigarette sparked fatal motel fire
March 20, 2015
The state police fire marshal today said a cigarette was the cause of a fatal motel fire in Westmoreland County on Thursday.
Timothy Paul Shane, 43, of Hempfield was killed in the fire at the Motel 3 on Route 30 in Adamsburg, according to the county coroner’s office.
State police fire marshal Scott Mackanick ruled the fire an accident and said Mr. Shane was smoking a cigarette that ignited the blaze around 6:30 a.m.
A section of Route 30 was closed in the area of the fire, as was the Irwin exit off of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
Mr. Shane’s cause and manner of death are pending toxicology results from an autopsy, the fire marshal said.
Wal-Mart employee says he “can’t afford” $15 a week for health insurance, but has no trouble paying for cigarettes
Wal-Mart Stores’ U.S. employees will pay between 8 percent and 36 percent more in premiums for its medical coverage in 2013, prompting some of the 1.4 million workers at the nation’s largest private employer to say they will forego coverage altogether.
“I really can’t even afford it now, so for it to go up even a dollar for me is a stretch,” said Colby Harris, who said he makes $8.90 per hour and takes home less than $20,000 per year working in the Walmart store’s produce department in Lancaster, Texas.
Harris, a 22-year-old smoker, was set to see his cost per paycheck rise to $29.60 from $25.40. He says he has decided not to sign up for coverage.
The same article also refers to Wal-Mart’s “two-week pay period.” So this guy is saying that he “can’t afford” to pay $15 per week for health insurance, and yet he somehow manages to pay for his cigarettes.
I wonder how much he spends on cigarettes each week. The article doesn’t say – but I’m guessing it’s more than $15.
This is certainly one of the prettier things I’ve seen on YouTube: